Monday, December 12, 2011

Busy Day Cake (Snack Size Yellow Cake)

(my camera has died - maybe Santa will bring me one - HINT)

Last night I made a terrific supper.  We've been eating lots of leftovers and trying to eat up what's in our freezer but we wanted some real comfort food for our Sunday Supper so I kind of went "all out."  I made baked "fried" chicken strips (this is our favorite way to make fried chicken - will post this soon), mashed potatoes, homemade sweet cornbread, and veges.  I had some sweetened strawberries from my friend's garden in my freezer so I also made a little cake (the Busy Day Cake) to go with the berries.

At first I was going to make garlic cheddar biscuits and sugar cookies instead of cornbread and the cake. But, after seeing that my flour supply had taken a serious hit when I made Homemade Sandwich Bread , I figured I could instead make the cornbread (it uses only 1 cup of flour) and this terrific Busy Day Cake recipe that my mom used to make for us all the time.  This cake recipe only uses 1 1/3 cup of flour!  That method pretty much encompasses my AT HOME MY WAY style in the kitchen!  Not having enough of something usually never stops me from cooking (oh NO!)  I just find something else to make with what I have.   This recipe has a topping that is very delicious.  I just didn't need it for strawberry short cake so I left it off. 

Here's how I made Busy Day Cake AT HOME MY WAY with the optional broiled coconut topping.

BUSY DAY CAKE



  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine (soft)
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Topping (optional) Broiled Coconut Topping (I made it without a topping since we were having strawberry shortcake.)
Instructions:  Spray an 8 x 8 or round cake pan (or grease). In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar. Add milk, butter, egg and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined (app 1 minute) (I just beat it with a spoon til smooth about 1 minute). Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes.


Optional: BROILED COCONUT TOPPING: Blend 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons softened butter/margarine. Stir in 1 Tablespoon milk. Stir in ½ cup flaked coconut and 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional). Place this topping over warm cake. Broil about 3-4 minutes or until golden.

3 comments:

  1. I hope hubby reads your blog b/c I want you to have a camera too! This cake sounds great, but I wish I could see he picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither my hubby NOR my two grown daughters reads this blog LOL. Otherwise they would have already died of embarrassment ha-ha. The girls like that they can find my recipes without having to ask me and sometimes I think they might think its a little teensy bit cool (because they have told their friends on occasion). But, for the most part its just one of the many weird things their mother does.. ;) (crochet posts coming..)


    The pictures I have occasionally posted come from when one of the girls is home and they take the picture with their Iphone. They crack up because I have to "pose" the food.

    The Busy Day Cake is not a soft cake mix type cake but I love it (hot out of the oven.. not as good leftover). I baked it in a pan that makes twinkie-shaped little loaves because I thought that would be perfect for strawberry shortcake. Its like the texture of cornbread without being cornmeal (does that make sense?)

    Maybe next week (after Christmas) I'll be back in picture mode around here (wink).

    Thanks for commenting, Veronica. I always look so forward to seeing your notes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is good, but needs about a half tsp of salt.

    ReplyDelete